May 18, 2009

Musings of Death

Oh joy, O delight, should we go without dying!
No sickness, no sadness, no dread, and no crying.
Caught up in the clouds with our Lord unto Glory
When Jesus receives His own.

O, Lord Jesus, how long? How long
'Till we shout the glad song:
"Christ returneth! Hallelujah!
Hallelujah, Amen."

The day is comingwhen each of us must face death. I've often wondered what death is like, and why we dread it so much. The Bible says that it is only a portal into the great world to come, and yet it strikes a chord of painful dread in my mind. I wonder what it feels like to die?

For the body ridden with pain and suffering, death is the most sure relief. It is an escape from the inescapable. For the soul longing to see her lover, death is an open door through which shines the light of glory. For the anti-religious, death is the end of all things. For all of us, it is a mystery. But laying aside philosophy, theology, and science, I wonder how it feels when spirit of man passes from time to eternity. When mortality looses her tight grip on his soul, and he slides between her fingers into the abyss of eternity. Though death might have a different face to each soul, I think there must be some commonality for everyone who faces death.

I don't know. When I do, it won't matter. It is only a passing question, but there is a sure promise: after I pass through this unknown portal, my life will begin in the fullest dimension. When I die, I'm going to see Jesus. "Even so come, Lord Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment